Thursday, June 16, 2011

Robert Mapplethorpe

One of my favorite photographers is Robert Mapplethorpe. I learned about Mapplethorpe when a friend artist needed a model in order to emulate some of Mapplethorpe's photos for his photography class.


I like about Mapplethorpe his unashamed expression of sexuality. His careful compositions and precise lighting, which joins sacred and profane. Being a Polaroid junkie, I love how he used Polaroid. From flowers to celebrities, from simple nudes to S&M scenes.



In the words of Patti Smith:

Robert [Mapplethorpe] was not a voyeur. He always said that he had to be authentically involved with the work that came out of his S&M pursuits, that he wasn't taking pictures for the sake of sensationalism, or making it his mission to help the S&M scene become more socially acceptable. He didn't think it should be accepted, and he never felt that his underground world was for everybody. [...]

He was no longer using magazine images, just models and himself to produce visuals of self-inflicted pain. I admired him for it, but I could not comprehend the brutality. It was hard for me to match it with the boy I had met.

And yet when I look at Robert's work, his subjects are not saying, Sorry, I have my cock hanging out. He's not sorry and doesn't want anybody else to be. He wanted his subjects to be pleased with his photographs, whether it was an S&M guy shoving nails in his dick or a glamorous socialite.


Patti Smith - Just Kids


Portrait of Andy Warhol


Portrait of Arnold Schwarzenegger


Portrait of Patti Smith


This iconic photo seems to be a reference to an old photo by Von Gloeden







No comments:

Post a Comment